Pages

Wednesday 7 December 2016

Chenai Pakoda- Elephant Yam Crispy fries



I am big fan of any kootu or stir fry made of elephant yum. However I always confuse it's name with tara root (Cheppankizhangu) !! This method of deep frying the yam I learnt from my MIL. It's so simple but very delicious and goes well with almost all kuzhambu/ rasam. I love to pair it especially with sambhar or mor kuzhambu. As usual I was making this lunch lethargically on sunday so have to hurry in clicking final pic. I will update with a better title pic in future and as far now I can assure you that this dish is much more yummy than it looks!! Do try it and share your feed back .




Chenai Pakoda

Cuisine: Indian
Category: Side dish
Difficulty level: Easy
Prep Time: -
Cook time: 30 mins
Servings: 4

Ingredients

Elephant yum/ Chenai
250 g
Besan flour
1 Tbsp
Salt
1 Tsp
Red chili Powder
2 Tsp
Asafetida
1/4 Tsp
Curd
1 Tbsp
Oil
For deep frying

Method
      
     1.     Wash and peel the skin of yam. Grate it using carrot grater.


     2.     Add besan, salt, red chili powder, asafetida, curd and mix everything well. No need to add water. Set the mix for 10 minutes.


    3.     Make small portions out of the mix. You can make round balls too but I feel the irregular shaped ones are more crispy.
    4.     In pan heat oil and once it becomes hot enough fry the balls in medium flame till the bubbles subside.


     5.     Drain excess oil using kitchen towels and serve hot.

Notes
     ·         Apply coconut oil before grating yam or wear gloves Else you might get itching sensation in hands.
      ·         I will buy the yam keep it for few days and then cook to reduce its itchy nature.
       ·         Fry in medium flame to ensure proper cooking.
       ·         Do add chili powder as mentioned as yam has a mild sweet nature.  


Tastes divine on rainy day !!



No comments:

Post a Comment