Pages

Tuesday 18 October 2016

Kovil Puliodharai - Temple style Tamarind Rice


Everyone loves puliodharai whether its from temple or home made and I am no exception. Till I was in India I never had the necessity to learn this recipe since both my mom and mil (even my dad!!) make excellent puliodharai 😋. After coming to singapore I tried to make puliodharai few times by browsing recipes in net since my hubby loves it . However the outcome was not satisfactory to me and I just gave up the idea of making it again (Lazy me !!😉 ). After I started food blogging many friends asked to post this recipe including my bestie. Obviously there is no second appeal when bestie asks a favour 😍!! So this time I got recipe from my MIL and yeppie it came out great! Though making of pulikachal might appear bit tricky and time consuming once done it will last for many days even months. It tastes great with idly, dosa and curd rice too. I have tried to elaborate as much as I could. Hope it helps beginners like me. So Varadha here goes the recipe you asked 😄!!

KOVIL PULIODHARAI
Cuisine: South Indian
Category: Main course/Lunch
Difficulty level: Hard
Prep Time: 30 mins
Cook time: 30 mins
Servings: 6-7

Ingredients


Tamarind
1 big lemon sized ball
Turmeric powder
1/2 Teaspoon
Rock salt
1 teaspoon heaped
Gingelly oil
1/3 cup
To roast and Grind
Urad dal
1 teaspoon
Methi seeds
1/2 teaspoon
Coriander seeds
1.5 teaspoon
Dry red Chilies
10-12
Pepper
1/4 teaspoon
Sesame seeds
1/2 teaspoon
Asafoetida
A generous pinch
For Tempering
Mustard
1/2 teaspoon
Urad dal
1/2 teaspoon
Channa Dal
1/2 teaspoon
Ground nuts
1/2 teaspoon
Cashew nuts
(optional)
4-6
Asafoetida
1/4 teaspoon
Curry leaves
1 spring

Preparation

1. Soak tamarind in hot water for minimum 30 minutes. The water should be just enough to immerse the tamarind since we need a thick pulp.


2. In the mean time roast the ingredients for spice powder by adding little oil. Once the dals become golden brown simmer the flame and add sesame seeds and switch off once they start spluttering.



3.  Cool down and grind the mixture to a nice powder.


Method

      1.  In kadai add remaining gingelly oil. Once oil becomes hot enough add items mentioned under tempering in the same order.



   2. Add the thick tamarind extract along with salt and turmeric. The juice should be in semi solid state.(Once you get pulp first time add water little by little and extract thick juice).


   3. Once the tamarind boil well and raw smell goes off (oil will float in top) add the spice powder and mix.


   4. Simmer in low flame for few minutes till you get a nice aroma. Pulikachal paste is ready :).


    5. Mix the pulikachal with rice and enjoy!!

Notes

  •      If you add more water to tamarind it will take long time to boil also will splutter a lot.
  •      Pulikachal thickens after it cool down so switch off when it is in semi solid state.
  •     Do not compromise with amount of gingelly oil. It is necessary not only for the taste but it acts as preservative. Also it adjusts the spice and hot nature of the dish.
  •      I added less items while tempering because we used to temper each time freshly so that the nuts remain crunchy each time and looks more colorful too :) (My MILs tip).
  •      If you want double the measurements of tempering items that it can be mixed with rice and had as such.
  •      If you feel salt is less can add accordingly while mixing with rice. Similarly to reduce spicyness can add gingelly oil while mixing with rice.   
  •     Store the pulikachal in airtight container and refrigerate it .Always use dry spoon while using. 







13 comments: