Pages

Wednesday 2 November 2016

Brinji Sadam



I tasted this recipe only after my marriage. One of my IIT friend used to bring this often and I love it so much. Its very simple and tasty recipe which is perfect for lunch box or a lazy weekend lunch! Since we add lot of veggies this is a healthy and filling meal ! Tastes great as such though I love to pair it with spicy potato chips or gobi fry along with raitha. This is quite similar to veg pulav however bay leaf is the main flavoring agent in this rice. Hence the name "Brinji Sadham" (I initially confused it with brinjal rice). This is simpler than pulav as you need not add cashew or milk. Sharing my version hope you all like it :) .

BRinji Sadham

Cuisine: Indian
Category: Lunch
Difficulty level: Easy
Prep Time: 15 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Servings: 3

Ingredients

Rice
3/4 Cup
Onion
3 big ones
Tomato
2 medium sized
Beans
8
Potato
1 medium sized
Carrot
1
Peas
1/8 cup
Ginger garlic paste
2 teaspoon
Oil
6 teaspoon
Bay leaf
1-2
Fennel seeds (sombhu)
1/2 teaspoon
Green chilli
3
Turmeric
1/4 teaspoon
Salt
1 heaped teaspoon
Mint leaves
1 spring
Coriander leaves
1 spring

Preparation

   1.     Soak the rice for 15 minutes. I used sona masuri raw rice. In the mean time chop the vegetables to medium sized chunks. Slice the onions and slit green chilies.



Method
      
    1.     In pan add oil and once it becomes hot enough add bay leaf and fennel. Add onion, green chilies, ginger garlic paste and sauté till raw smell of the paste goes off.


   2.     Add the vegetables, turmeric and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Sauté till the tomatoes become soft and add the soaked rice.


   3.     Add 1/4 cup water and remaining salt. Add the chopped mint leaves and coriander leaves. Pressure cook in medium flame for just one whistle and switch off.


Notes
     ·         If you are not soaking the rice then add 3/4 cup water. It is enough if the vegetables and rice are barely immersed in water.
     ·         Soaking helps in easy and fast cooking. Always cook in medium flame (to avoid the rice getting over burnt) if you are cooking directly in pressure cooker bottom like me.
     ·         You can use basmati rice but I prefer ordinary rice. In case you are using basmati rice soak it for minimum 30 minutes.


Serve with raitha , chips or fryums of your choice!!



7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. No adding masala might make it taste like briyani. Ginger garlic, onion, green chili and the bay leaf will give nice flavour. ☺

      Delete
  2. hey i do make this at home wen i feel lazy..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Tried it.Came out very well.Adding coconut milk gives additional flavour.Yummy 😋

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good one Seetha. I love the Brinji rice of Kapaleeshwarar mess @ Mylapore. Though it is loaded with oil, taste lingers in mouth, They also add fried bread pieces in it. Your version has very less oil. Thansk for sharing this recipe

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks vidhya☺ I love adding fried bread especially to briyani I add them. Even roasted paneer adds great taste. since I wanted to post the version I learnt from my friend din add in this.☺

      Delete