Pages

Tuesday 29 November 2016

Naan With yeast



Naan is a very famous Indian flat bread loved by all. But I never tried making it in home either because I was afraid maida might be too difficult to roll. Thanks to the encouragement given by my seniors (in blogging) I tried it at home and was really happy with the result :) Best part is the dough was so easy to roll. Since this is my maiden attempt I do realize they don't look very perfect. However I suggest you to try this version so that you too will get confidence like me to try it more often at home.  On this text I did try to understand the difference between "naan" and "kulcha". Sharing the same to you also!!
  • Naan mainly uses yeast as leavening agent where for kulcha baking soda along with baking powder is used.
  • It seems naan require egg atleast in case of bulk preparations (like restaurants).
  • Naan is of Persian origin and Kulcha is a part of Punjabi cuisine. 
  • Naan is usually oblong/ triangle shaped where as kulcha is made round shape.
  • We don usually top up naan with black sesame seeds where as in kulcha you will find it always.
If you know some more difference do share with me. Lets see the preparation of naan!


NAAN
Cuisine: Indian
Category: Main course
Difficulty level: Medium
Prep Time: 2 hrs
Cook time: 30 mins
Servings: 10 naan

Ingredients

Maida
2 cup+ 1 tblsp
Active Yeast
1.5 tsp
Sugar
2 tsp
Salt
1/2 tsp
Water
3/4 cup
Rice flour
2 tblsp
Butter
2 tblsp
Oil
1 tblsp

Preparation

    1.      Mix yeast along with sugar and add 1/2 cup of lukewarm water to it. Leave it for 2 minutes. Add salt to the flour and mix well.


   2.      Make a dent in centre and pour the yeast mixture. Mix everything well. Sprinkle remaining water little by little and kneed to make a soft non sticky dough. Set the dough for 2 hrs.



Method

    1.     After 2 hr the dough would have raised and become very soft. Add 1 spoon flour and kneed again.
     2.     Finally add oil and make a very smooth dough. Take a lemon sized ball, dust it with rice flour and roll to some oblong shape.


    3.     With a brush coat very little water to one side. Place the water coated side on hot tawa. After a minute flip to other side and ensure both sides are cooked well.


     4.     Apply butter and serve hot with your choice of gravy.

Notes
       ·         Yeast has some pungent smell. But that smell was not present in naan.
      ·         My flour did raise a little but it din double as I expected. Guess I should try adding more yeast next time. But the flour was incredibly smooth.
      ·         Do not coat more water. Just brush it on one side. Also the shape got more oblong when I took it and placed on tawa.   
  

Tasty home made naans !!



2 comments: